The Hockey Club was founded in 1921, and subsequently the teams played games in a number of different town parks within Southend. During the 1980’s the Club moved to three new grass pitches at Warner’s Park, so that all teams could play at the same venue.
Since relocating to Warner’s Park, a club house with changing rooms and bar area was built (1985) and then in the 1990’s the club swapped their three grass pitches for an astro turf pitch. This is situated directly behind the clubhouse, allowing for superb views of any games being played.
The facilities at Warners Park have allowed the club to develop six mens, two ladies and mixed teams plus a large Youth section for children between the ages of 8 and 13.
Youth coaching sessions take place every Saturday morning, and then once a month on Sundays there are tri-way tournaments against other clubs in Essex, Suffolk and Hertfordshire. In addition the club runs where possible U-14 and U-18 teams which take part in regional leagues.
The club is proud that the hard work their members put into training and playing has been recognised by the selectors for both County and East Hockey sides. Some have even gone on to attain caps for England and GB, one of our more recent former 1st XI players Jonty Clarke has represented both England and GB.
With the assistance of Southend Council the astro turf was re-laid in 2012 ready for the 2012/13 season and then, with the assistance of Sport England, the downstairs changing and toilet facilities were redesigned and upgraded in 2013 for the 2013/14 season.
Every Saturday during the hockey season (September to April) the clubhouse and pitch are opened at 9:00 for youth training which is followed by ladies and mens fixtures.
The Club welcomes players of all ages and abilities. Please visit the club website http://www.oldsouthendianhockeyclub.co.uk/ or contact the Club President Andy Smithson.Andy Smithson [Troy, 1976 - 1983]